We’re excited to be able to offer the opportunity to learn from one of Australia’s most experienced strawbale building teams.
You have the option of participating in the workshop for 3, 4 or 5 days, starting on Saturday 12th of March 2016.
What will happen during the workshop?
The Workshop will include both the theory and practice of constructing a strawbale home using the hybrid method. Over the course of the workshop we’ll complete the timber framing, raise the straw bales, prepare for rendering, and get stuck into the first coat of rendering. The workshop promises to be lots of hands-on fun, working and playing alongside fellow lovers of strawbale building.
- Timber frame preparation and assembly (bottom and top plates, window and door framing)
- Bale preparation (trimming, making custom bales)
- Bale raising (stacking bales, securing bales, straightening walls)
- Compression (addition of tensioning rods, compression, levelling)
- Rendering (mixing, applying render)
- Foundations (trench, slab, stumps)
- Wall construction methods (load bearing, non-load bearing, hybrid)
- Strawbale design (regulations, engineering, design parameters)
- Rendering mixes (cement, earth, lime)
- Practicalities (electrical, plumbing, wet areas)
What do I need for the Workshop?
There are no requirements for any prior skills, knowledge or experience in building and construction. You are free to choose your level of participation in the build. The Workshop is open to people of all levels of fitness and physical ability.
The safety of everyone involved is of the utmost importance to us, so you will need basic clothing and footwear suitable for an active building site.
What is the cost of attending?
The costs are $500 for three days, $550 for four days and $605 for the full five days.
What is included in the cost?
The cost includes:
- Theory sessions
- Hands on sessions
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea each day
Do I have to participate in the workshop to lend a hand?
No. You are welcome to lend a hand in many different ways. The workshop is a complete theory and hands-on program for those keen to learn about strawbale building from our expert straw bale builders. Sign up as a volunteer if you’re interested in being involved in other ways and we’ll keep you in the loop.
Register for the workshop
Register via the form below and the strawbale builders running our workshop will be in touch!